This recipe is from the Auberge du Soleil Spa, Napa Valley, CA. A fabulous light dish, the combinations of flavors and textures, sweet and salty, creamy and crunchy are fantastic! (The cooking time includes the balsamic reduction)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 fresh sea scallops (each 2-3 oz)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (buy the best quality you can)
- salt and pepper
- 1Reduce balsamic vinegar over low heat until it is the consistency of syrup, about 1/4 cup.
- 2Keep warm.
- 3Cook cauliflower florets for about one minute in boiling salted water, then put on ice to stop the cooking and retain color.
- 4Reserve one cup of the florets.
- 5Put the other cup into a saucepan, cover it with 1/4 cup of cream and cook for about 8 minutes.
- 6Puree in a blender or push through a fine sieve and keep warm.
- 7Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small sauté pan, and when heated add the scallops that have been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 8Cook over moderately high heat, high enough to get a nice caramelized sear, on each side for 1-3 minutes, until cooked through.
- 9In another small sauté pan, brown 1 1/2 tablespoons butter slightly, then add the cup of florets that were not pureed.
- 10Cook for one minute or two browning the cauliflower slightly.
- 11Add the toasted, slivered almonds, then the capers, golden raisins and chopped parsley.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13In the center of a plate, put half the cauliflower puree.
- 14Arrange the cauliflower-caper-raisin mixture on top of the puree as a bed for the scallops.
- 15Top with half the scallops, then drizzle the plate with the reduced balsamic vinegar.
- 16Repeat with second plate.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan Seared Scallops With Cauliflower and Balsamic Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.6
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 507.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 8.7 g