1 hr 8 mins
Chef Jeff in St Augustine's Note:
I cannot keep this to myself anymore. I had this dish at a restaurant in Tampa and have re-created it perfectly. I promise that this dish will be the best thing you've ever cooked or ate!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make the sauce first. It is a basic Bechamel sauce with cream enrichment. Melt 2 Tbsp Butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add 3 Tbsp flour, stirring constantly. Cook 3 minutes without browning flour. Whisk in 3 Cups milk and bring to a slow boil while stirring. Add salt and nutmeg. Cook until it reduces down enough to coat the back of a spoon, add the Bleu cheese and let it melt. Add a few drops of Lemon juice, salt, and White pepper to taste. Add a little cream for extra flavor and put in an oven set on 'warm'.
- 2Peel the sweet potatoes and grate them, these are deep fried in the vegetable oil for only 30 seconds or so, until they change color. You can salt them slightly before frying.Pull them out of the pot with a spider or slotted spoon and dry them on paper towels.
- 3The Scallops should be cooked in a hot pan, preferably cast iron, get it good and hot over medium high heat, add the Olive oil, let it heat for half a minute or so and add the Scallops that you have seasoned with Salt, Pepper, And Paprika. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side until the color and doneness is to your preference.
- 4To plate, lay down the Scallops, cover with the Bleu cheese sauce, and top with some deep fried grated sweet potato. Garnish as you wish, garlic mashed potatoes goes quite well with this as does a good white wine. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan Seared Scallops With Bleu Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1467.7
- Calories from Fat 1247
- Total Fat 138.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.3 mg
- Sodium 1722.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 28.9 g