Recipe by Manami
Outstanding! Scallops are simple to prepare, and with a screaming hot skillet, you get a gorgeous crust without having to bread the shellfish. Serve with multi-grain baguette and a glass of wine Cooking Light Magazine, May 2010 edition.;)
Top Review by mama smurf
Heaven!!! I love scallops and spinach so this really caught my eye. Followed the directions completely and DH and I ate all! Definately going into my book fo Favorites for 2010. Thank you! Served with recipe#421331#421331 and a glass of wine. Made for New Kids on the Block 2010.
- 3 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo sea scallops (about 12)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (perhaps more!)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 12 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 4 lemon wedges (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; coarsely chop and set bacon aside. Increase heat to high.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add scallops to drippings in pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-high & add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add half of spinach; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining half of spinach; cook 2 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates; top each serving evenly with crumbled bacon and 3 scallops.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired.