Very simple preparation that preserves the delicate, sweet flavor of the scallops. I didn't have Romano on hand, so I used Parmigiano-Reggiano and just grated it directly over the scallops in the skillet.
- Roll scallops in bread crumbs.
- Put olive oil and butter in a large skillet; stir and heat until hot.
- Add scallops, turning once, until browned on both sides (3-4 minutes); remove from heat.
- Halve lemon and gently squeeze juice over scallops, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with a lid and let steep for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.