If you are using a single 12-inch nonstick skillet for this recipe, make the red cabbage and onions first. Transfer to a heated serving bowl and cover to keep warm, then clean skillet and cook salmon. From Gourmet, 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup merlot or 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 (5 ounce) skinned center-cut pieces salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 inches thick at thickest part)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Red Onions and Onions
- 1Red Cabbage and Onions:.
- 2Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté cabbage, onions, thyme, salt, and pepper, stirring, 3 minutes.
- 3Cover skillet and reduce heat to moderate, then cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 12 minutes more.
- 4Make sauce:
- 5Bring sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is a golden caramel, about 5 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and carefully add vinegar, then add shallot and swirl pan over low heat until caramel is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- 7Stir in wine and boil until reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add beef broth and boil until reduced to about 1 cup, about 8 minutes.
- 9Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water, then whisk into sauce and boil, whisking, 1 minute.
- 10Season sauce with salt and pepper and keep warm, covered.
- 11Cook salmon:
- 12Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute salmon, skinned side up, 3 minutes.
- 14Turn over and saute until just cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- 15Serve salmon on top of red cabbage and onions with sauce spooned over.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Seared Salmon over Red Cabbage and Onions With Merlot Gastri
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.5 mg
- Sodium 672.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 32.8 g