Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this on epicurious. This recipe is from Gourmet March 2008. I did make the suggested shoestring potatoes to go along with the steaks... very tasty. The egg yolks in the sauce will not be fully cooked. Béarnaise can be made 20 minutes ahead and kept in bowl, covered, over hot water off heat.
- 2 boneless rib-eye steaks (1 1/4-inch-thick 16 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- shoe string potato
- Cook steaks:.
- Halve steaks crosswise, then pat dry and sprinkle all over with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper (total).
- Heat a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat until hot, then add oil, swirling skillet to coat bottom, and cook steaks 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steaks to a platter and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 5 minutes.
- Make béarnaise while steaks stand:.
- Boil wine, vinegar, shallots, and 1 tablespoon tarragon in a small heavy saucepan until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve set into a medium metal bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids.
- Whisk yolks into vinegar mixture, then set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until yolks have thickened slightly (do not scramble).
- Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, adding each piece before previous one has melted completely. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice, remaining tablespoon tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste). Serve steaks with sauce.
Delicious!! I love ribeye steaks and then topped with this fantastic sauce, can't be beat!! I opted to fore go the pan frying in oil and just made the sauce indoors and we grilled our steaks, little less fat lol!!! I had mine with the ribeye but my DH, DS and his girlfriend went with fillet steaks. We served this with Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes and green beans for a wonderful meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 8.
Yum! This was easy and very good. I had to use dried tarragon but it was still good. Thanks Queen Dana for a nice meal. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.