Pan-Seared Oatmeal With Warm Fruit Compote and Cider Syrup
- SYRUP: Bring cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 20 minutes); set aside.
- COMPOTE: Combine 2 cups water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and dried fruit in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick.
- OATMEAL: Combine 3 cups water, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in oats. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon oatmeal into an 11 by 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or until set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut oatmeal into 8 equal rectangles; cut each rectangle in half diagonally to form 16 triangles.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 8 oatmeal triangles; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and oatmeal triangles.
- Place 2 oatmeal triangles on each of 8 plates, and top each serving with 3 1/2 tablespoons fruit compote and about 2 teaspoons syrup.