Recipe by Mirj
Created for RSC #6. Doesn't this sound just like one of those fancy shmancy dishes you get in multi-star restaurants? Pretend to be a famous Food Network chef and make this at home.
Top Review by Chef Kate
The fish, seared as directed, was lovely--flakey, moist. The potatoes were delicious. The sauce, however, was bitter. Ironically, the addition of one or two more of Susie's ingredients (the raisins, the apricots) might have made the difference. The sauce as far as texture is concerned was excellent--it really was a cream--but it needed a ouch of sweetness which was lacking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 mahi mahi fillets
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
Ginger Shitake Cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloved garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 large red potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the Potato Beds:.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into uniform pieces.
- Boil in water until done.
- Drain and mash.
- Add the eggs and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the mashed potatoes into 4 "beds" on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- You can use a pastry bag or the back of a large spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes until set and browned.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the mahi mahi with the black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the mahi mahi.
- Sear for 3 minutes on one side, then turn the fish and sear the second side for 4 minutes.
- Make the Ginger Shitake Cream:.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the scallions, fresh ginger and garlic.
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the mushrooms and soy sauce.
- Saute for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the cream.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, until the sauce lightly coats the back of the spoon.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- To serve:.
- Place one mahi mahi fillet on each potato bed.
- Spoon the sauce over each piece of fish.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.