Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens, March 2003. For the pecans specified in the original recipe I substituted walnuts, but pine nuts or even almonds would probably work. Another option is to use grapeseed oil instead of olive oil, although that is only if you're brave.
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced (NOT dried)
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, minced (NOT dried)
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (myzithra is good, too!)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 2 lbs lamb rib chops (8 chops) or 2 lbs lamb loin chops, cut 1-inch thick (8 chops)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups mixed greens (mezclun)
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- Dry roast nuts in pan, being careful not to burn and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the fresh mint, parsley, feta, and nuts. Set aside.
- Trim all fat from lamb chops. Rub the chops with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil (I use a pastry brush), salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large fry pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the lamb chops to the pan. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes, turning chops halfway through cooking. Do not move or stir the chops until ready to flip over at the halfway mark.
- Cook chops until well-browned and a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chop measures 145 degrees.
- Garnish each chop with the mint/cheese mixture. Divide the salad greens on 4 plates and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Arrange the warm lamb chops on each plate.
- Serve immediately with shiraz and crusty bread! Don't forget the mood lighting!
Goodness! I made this twice already and both times didn't see that I had forgotten review it! So sorry! This makes great lamb chops... they are juicy and flavourful and the topping of feta, herbs and pine nuts is a lovely addition to the lamb. Don't stint on the fresh mint... it makes the dish. This isn't our all time favourite lamb recipe but it IS one that we come back to every few months and enjoy very much indeed. Please see my rating system, a wonderful 4 stars for a recipe that just catches my eye when we want a meal full of taste when we are short on time. These fry up in next to no time. I am making these again tonight and in a few months we will be back for more...(again) LOL. Thanks for a great recipe!