Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a low-carb recipe that is absolutely delicious, rich, with so much flavor. I've served it to guests and it is elegant and gets rave reviews every time. Enjoy! Season with love! Recipe origin: www.peaceloveandlowcarb.com
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 white onion, sliced into thin rings and separated
- 1 lb mushroom, small Bella Mushrooms, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and let rest.
- In a small skillet, saute onions in the butter until they are golden brown (carmelized).
- In a larger skillet with tall sides, heat olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides, but do not cook through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- While the pan is still hot, deglaze with the chicken broth, and use a whisk or spatula to loosen all the browned bits.
- Add the heavy cream and the balsamic vinegar to the chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes (if desired) Whisk through.
- Add the mushrooms to the cream sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add onions into the sauce.
- Place the chicken back into the pan with the sauces, increase heat to medium and saute until chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and add the Parmesan cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted through the sauce.
- Plate the chicken, top with sauce, and garnish with fresh parsley. I often serve this chicken over the top of basmati rice.
Made this tonight for dinner. Family loved it! Adding this one to my dinner list! So easy to make. Only things I did differently was to cut up the chicken into strips, and to serve it over fettuccine pasta.
I made this last week for dinner and it was delicious! The sauce is amazing and I will definitely be making it again. Thanks for the recipe!
1 word: AMAZING. Impressed the hubbie with this one. Did do a few changes - swapped out the heavy cream for fat free half and half and the chicken broth for low sodium so we could salt to taste. At the end took the chicken out and added cornstarch about 3 tablespoons to the sauce to thicken it up. Served over garlic mashed red bliss potatoes and with a side of roasted asparagus. Things I will do in future - double the mushrooms and onion so I can have a bit more in the sauce.