Recipe by BecR
A simple yet glorious dish for those abundant summer squash! I really prefer parsley with the fresh lemon zest, rather than the cilantro-mint combo.. feel free to use your favorite herbs. This dish can be panfried -or- cooked on the grill. Enjoy! Adapted from "Simple Pleasures" by Alfred Portale and Andrew Friedman.
Top Review by kiwidutch
Personal tastes varied wildly here.. I LOVED this, and DH hated it.. he said that the flavours didn't go well together but I loved the mint/colantro(coriander)/lemon combination. I will definiately make this again for myself. DH wanted to give this 2 stars and I wanted to give it 4. Please see my rating system, if I have a difference of opinion from reviewers we always go for the middle ground and give the recipe the benefit of the doubt. Hence the 3 star rating. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the recipe, just that personal tastes differed. This was easy to make and the only change I made was that our zucchini were quite large so for the two of us I only needed to do one. Thanks for a lovely recipe :)
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely chopped
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slender green zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the mint in a small bowl and add the cilantro, garlic, lemon zest and salt to taste. Add pepper to taste and toss with your fingertips, ensuring that the lemon zest and garlic are evenly dispersed. Set aside.
- Put the zucchini, cut side up, on a plate and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- PAN METHOD: Pour olive oil into a saute pan large enough to hold the zucchini in a single layer. (Or cook zucchini in two batches.) Pat zucchini dry with paper towels and season lightly with pepper. Heat oil over medium-low heat. Add zucchini to the pan, cut side down, and cook until they are slightly soft but still holding their shape, as little as 5 minutes, adjusting heat if necessary to maintain a light golden color.
- GRILL METHOD: With your hands, coat the zucchini thoroughly on all sides with olive oil. Grill over medium-high heat for about 5-6 minutes total, flipping midway, until slightly soft and light golden in color.
- Arrange the zucchini on a serving plate, cut side up. Serve while still warm or let cool to room temperature. Just before serving, toss the bread crumbs with the cilantro mint gremolata and scatter it over the zucchini.