Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love roasted tomatillos! This salsa is whiz bang easy to whip up, doubles & triples well & have survived freezing well too. This dry pan roasting is way easier than the usual under the broiler method I have used for a hundred years - thanks email@example.com ! I leave out the cilantro & oregano if freezing - seems better to add them in fresh when reheating with a dab of oil in the saucepan. Smoky chipotles or fresh jalapenos also do well - use what you got!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatillos, outer husks removed, rinsed, cut in half
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 -6 serrano chilies, stemmed
- 1⁄2 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, packed
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- Heat a large dry frying pan over medium-high flame. Add the tomatillos, garlic and chili peppers. Cook about 4 minutes on one side, then flip everthing and go another 4 minutes, until the tomatillos are quite soft. Remove the chilis and garlic sooner if they are starting to get dark (they get bitter if burned).
- Puree the vegetables along with the onion, salt, olive oil, cilantro & oregano in a blender until you get a smooth even texture. Stir in the lemon juice 1/2 T at a time - to taste.
- Strain and serve or chill until serving time.