Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from another Jersey Shore Restaurant that I have eaten at, The Pier Village of Long Branch.
- 2 sweet potatoes, large
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed if possible)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb wild mushroom (any mix of black trumpets, chanterelles, cremini, enoki, shiitake, etc.)
- vegetable oil
- 1 fennel bulb, and fronds (sliced thin or chopped, chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche or 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 24 large scallops
- Wondra Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (white balsamic)
- For the Sweet Potatoes:.
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350 to 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Clean out the pulp and discard the skins.
- Place pulp in medium-size heavy saucepan over low heat. Pour orange juice and sugar over the top. Stir constantly for 3 to 5 minutes and reduce until mixture is dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the Mushrooms:.
- Clean and dry mushrooms well.
- In a hot saute pan filmed with vegetable oil, add mushrooms and fennel bulb. Let the mushrooms develop a little color (about 8 to 10 minutes), then lower heat to medium. Add garlic.
- Season well with salt. Finish with creme fraiche (or sour cream) and chopped fennel frondss for color.
- For the Sacallops:.
- Wash, then dry scallops with a paper towel and dust with Wondra flour.
- Drizzle a little vegetable oil in a medium-hot saute pan. Place scallope in pan. Allow scallops to get golden brown, then turn down heat. Add butter and baste for about 3 minutes, then flip and cook opposite side.
- To Finish:.
- Place a small amount of the sweet potato on the plate. Place 3 scallops on top and smother with creamed mushrooms. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.