Tracy K's Note:
I developed this recipe based on what I had on hand: rosemary fresh from the pot on my balcony, a Niman Ranch pork tenderloin, and a brand-new jar of dijon mustard. The result is an incredibly flavorful, relatively quick dinner that is also pretty low in fat (you could use a nonstick pan and less oil for even lighter results, though the searing will not be as good). Great with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies for a simple weeknight meal that's fit for guests.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450.
- 2Rinse tenderloin and pat dry.
- 3Using a sharp paring knife, make several slits in the tenderloin and insert garlic slivers.
- 4Use about half the garlic.
- 5In a mortar& pestle (or small food processor), mash the fennel seeds and the remainder of the sliced garlic with about 1 tsp.
- 6salt to form a paste.
- 7Combine fennel-garlic mixture with chopped rosemary, mixture will be crumbly.
- 8Sprinkle the pork tenderloin with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 9Rub dijon mustard all over surface of the meat.
- 10Pat the herb mixture onto the surface of the meat, it should adhere to the mustard.
- 11Place a cast iron skillet (or other heavy-bottomed skillet) over medium heat till hot.
- 12Add oil, allow oil to get quite hot, just before the smoking point.
- 13Add the tenderloin to the pan.
- 14DO NOT TOUCH IT FOR AT LEAST TWO MINUTES!
- 15Then lift it with tongs and sear the other sides, repeating until the surface is browned and crusty.
- 16Some of the coating will adhere to the pan, that's OK.
- 17Place the pan in the hot oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until tenderloin is cooked to your liking (at least 145 degrees).
- 18Allow meat to rest, covered, for about ten minutes before slicing and serving.
- 19You can deglaze the pan with a little white wine or lemon juice to make a delicious pan sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Herb-and-Mustard Crust
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.1
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 290.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 47.8 g