Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
From the Sun-Sentinel newspaper. Listed as a quick and delicious dinner.
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more
- salt, for the pasta water
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lb linguine
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat salted water to a boil in a stockpot.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toss mussels, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Transfer mussels to skillet; cook, covered, shaking pan occasionally, 8 minutes until mussels are open; discard any mussels that haven't opened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to stockpot; toss with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
- Transfer to a serving platter, pour mussels and any of their cooking liquid on top, garnish with cheese.
- Serve immediately.