Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
with Purée of Yukon Gold Potatoes and California Golden Relish by Chef Thomas Keller. Many steps to this but well worth it for your dinner guests. If you can make an aluminum ring and stack/layer the different parts of this at serving time it looks grand!! (it should remind you of an ice cream sandwich, potatoes, Raisin Relish, Beef then sauce) Since I've not made this I'm guesting on the prep and cook time.
California Golden Raisin Relish
- 2 cups california golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 star anise
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 6 allspice berries
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced cornichons
Red Wine Sauce
- 2 cups red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2⁄3 cup shallot, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 cup carrot, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 20 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons garlic, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 cups veal stock
Yukon Gold Potato Puree
- 1 unpeeled yukon gold potato
- 1 cup heavy cream, hot
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 8 (5 ounce) beef medallions (1 1/2-inches thick)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh chervil
- California Golden Raisin Relish:.
- Place golden raisins, sugar, vinegar, red onions, water and a sachet consisting of 1 star anise, a 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick, 6 allspice berries, 10 black peppercorns and 2 whole cloves in a 10-inch pot.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and reduce liquid until dry.
- Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat, let cool and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Red Wine Sauce:.
- In a medium saucepan, bring wine, vegetables, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and garlic to a simmer.
- Simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add peppercorns and veal stock and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until stock is reduced to a sauce consistency (about 1 cup).
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a small saucepan.
- This sauce can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 days.
- Yukon Gold Potato Purée:.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water, twice the volume of the potatoes.
- Bring to a slow simmer; cook until potatoes can be pierced with a knife with no resistance.
- While potatoes are still hot, peel and then press them through a potato ricer into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and begin to incorporate the hot cream and butter.
- Whisk well; season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm.
- Beef Medallions:.
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan until smoking.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, pan-roast medallions on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side for medium rare (145°F).
- It is important not to crowd meat in pan or it will steam not pan roast.
- Remove meat from pan and reserve in a warm area.
- To Serve:.
- Heat 8 dinner plates.
- Evenly divide potato purée in center of each plate.
- Portion raisin relish evenly on top of each beef medallion.
- Carefully lift each medallion and position it on top of the purée.
- Spoon red wine sauce around each plate and garnish with a sprig of chervil.