Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe has been saved in my file for years. Now that I have found a source for duck breasts it's on the top of my list to make for a romantic dinner for two.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 8 ripe black plums, halved, pitted
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 muscovy duck breasts
- Heat honey in heavy large skillet over medium heat until bubbles form.
- Add plums, cut side down and cook unti light brown, rearranging plums occasionally to cook evenly and adding water by tablespoonfuls as needed to prevent burning, about 8 minutes.
- Turn plums over. Tuck rosemary sprigs between plums.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Transfer plums to a plate. Add port to skillet and simmer until sauce is reduced to 2/3 cup, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 3 more minutes.
- Mix in butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return plums to skillet. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead, letting stand at room temperature.).
- Using shapr kinife, score duck skin every 3/4 inch on diagonal, cutting almost throught to meat. repeat in opposite direction, creating 3/4 inch diamond pattern.
- Sprinkle duck with salt and pepper.
- Place duck, skin side down in skillet over midium heat; cook until skin is brown and crisp and the fat has rendered, about 9 minutes.
- Turn duck and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes longer for medium-rare.
- Transfer duck to plate; tent with foil to keep warm. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Rewarm plums with sauce over medium heat, turning plums occasionally, about 3 minutes. cut duck crosswise into into 1/3 inch slices and fan on plates.
- Garnish with plum halves; spoon sauce over duck and serve.