1/1 Photo of Pan-Roasted Chicken & Gravy
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Mr Jackson's Note:
From Eating Well September 2007 A cast-iron skillet is the perfect vessel for a simple roast chicken. Almost every side dish, be it vegetables, legumes, pasta or rice, goes well with it. Try Braised Fennel with Tomatoes & Potatoes or Tuscan Cabbage & Mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 7.39 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 1587.57 g chicken, giblets removed
- 4.92 ml peanut oil or 4.92 ml canola oil
- 9.85 ml butter, softened, divided
- 9.85 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 14.79 ml minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Mash garlic and salt into a paste in a small bowl, using the back of a spoon. Stir in pepper and thyme.
- 3With a sharp knife, remove any excess fat from chicken. Dry the inside with a paper towel. With your fingers, loosen the skin over the breasts and thighs to make pockets, being careful not to tear the skin. Rub the garlic mixture over the breast and thigh meat.
- 4Heat oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning often, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 5Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the chicken until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; tent with foil.
- 6Meanwhile, mash the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and flour in a small bowl until a paste forms. Place the pan (use caution, the handle will be hot) over medium-high heat. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time, until the gravy thickens, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, allowing any fat to rise to the top. Skim off the fat with a spoon. Carve the chicken and serve with the gravy. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Roasted Chicken & Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.2
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 285.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 31.3 g