2 hrs 40 mins
Queen Dana's Note:
Fine Cooking Feb/March 2009 http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pan-roasted-chicken-breasts-orange-brandy-sauce.aspx
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
- 2 cups orange juice (fresh navel or Valencia)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- kosher salt
- 6 boneless skin-on chicken breast halves, about 6-7 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh navel or Valencia)
- 1/2 cup lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 orange, cut into segments, segments cut into thirds (navel or Valencia)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Brine the chicken:.
- 2Combine the orange juice, zest, 6 Tbs. salt, and 4 cups water in a large bowl or pot; stir to dissolve the salt. Add the chicken breasts and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- 3Cook the chicken:.
- 4Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
- 5Remove the chicken from the brine and pat it dry with paper towels.
- 6Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the chicken skin side down in a snug single layer and cook until the skin is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, season with 1/4 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper, and put the pan in the oven. Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F in the center of the thickest breast, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer the chicken to a carving board, tent with foil, and let rest while you make the sauce.
- 7Make the sauce:.
- 8Pour the juices from the skillet into a heatproof measuring cup. Let the fat rise to the surface and then spoon it off.
- 9Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the brandy. Return the pan to the heat and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the brandy has almost evaporated, about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to high and add the orange juice. Boil until thick and syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, pan juices, and any juices from the carving board. Boil until reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- 10Swirl in the orange segments. Then, off the heat, swirl in the remaining 1 Tbs. butter and the parsley until the butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- 11To serve, cut the chicken on the diagonal into thin slices and arrange on 6 serving plates. Drizzle with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts With Orange-Brandy Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.6
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 112.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 16.7 g