1/2 Photos of Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts With Lemon and Caper Sauce
From Cook's Illustrated. Very much like Chicken Piccatta, but moister, with less hands-on time required. But also not as quick - the choice is yours. (I must warn you that the skillet handle is HOT when removed from the oven. Despite repeated reminders to myself, I still grabbed it while making the sauce.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position and heat the oven to 450°F Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and sean with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12" oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Carefully lay the chicken breasts skin-side down in the skillet and cook until well browned, 6-8 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts and continue to brown lightly on the second side, about 3 minutes.
- 2Turn the chicken beasts skin-side down and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until the thickest part of the brests registers 160F on an instant read thermometer - about 15-20 minutes.
- 3Remove the skillet from the oven (warning: The handles are HOT!). Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate, tent loosely with foil, and let rest while making the sauce.
- 4Sauce: Being careful of the hot pan handle, add the oil to the skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- 5Stir in any accumulated juices from the chicken and return to a simmer. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Carve chicken and serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts With Lemon and Caper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.6
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 225.5 mg
- Sodium 293.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 72.2 g