Pan-roasting broccoli results in a carmelized flavor, a completely different taste using broccoli, salt, and pepper. Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
- Stir water, salt, and pepper together in small bowl, til salt dissolves.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high then add the broccoli stems in an even layer.
- Don't stir for about two minutes until they get light browned.
- Add the florets and toss to combine and don't stir for another two minutes, until they just begin to brown.
- Add water spice mixture and cover pan with lid, cooking for two minutes.
- Uncover and cook until desired doneness.
- Note: I eyeballed my broccoli measurements and it worked fine. I did add a little water to mine.