Recipe by looneytunesfan
Searing then roasting at high heat keeps flavor in tenderloin. Truss it so that the roast cooks evenly and maintains its shape.
Trim and Truss
- 3 lbs cut beef tenderloin
Rub Tenderloin with
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Trim silverskin and fat from tenderloin; wash it and dry well with paper towels. Truss the meat with cotton string at every inch to create a round profile. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- Rub meat with olive oil. Then salt and pepper just before searing to prevent juices from leeching. This promotes maximum browning.
- Sear on all sides until browned, about three rotations, 1 minute each. Roast in oven 20 - 30 minutes, turning tenderloin over halfway through cooking for even browning. When temperature reads 130° (medium-rare), remove from oven. Cover the roast with aluminum foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into 1 1/2" slices.