Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Do not use pencil-thin asparagus; it cannot withstand the heat and overcooks too easily. Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 907.18 g thick asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add half of the asparagus to the skillet with tips pointed in one direction; add remaining spears with tips pointed in the opposite direction.
- Using tongs, distribute spears in an even layer (spears will not quite fit into single layer). Cover skillet; cook until asparagus is bright green and still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high and season asparagus with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until spears are tender and well-browned along one side, 5 - 7 minutes, using tongs to occasionally move spears from the center of the pan to the edge of the pan to ensure all are browned.
- Transfer to serving dish, adjust seasonings as needed and, if desired, squeeze lemon over spears. Serve immediately.
I was using both racks of my oven for other dinner items but I wanted roasted asparagus so I figured I would try your method. I like thin asparagus and I used all butter instead of olive oil. These turned out really good. My son loved them and cleaned the pan. Simple and easy side dish. Loved it!