Recipe by kolleen1021
This was a side dish my mother taught me to make after she modified a recipe she'd found in a cookbook to suit our family's tastes. These get deliciously crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. So good I could eat them as the meal itself. NOTE: Try to choose sprouts that are all about the same size. Smaller sprouts work best.
Top Review by nemokitty
I agree -- excellent brussel sprouts. I normally roast mine in the oven but this sounded easy and good. Loved the slivered almonds with it. Very nutty flavor! Wonderful. Will make again.
- 2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 -3 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the cut ends of the brussel sprout, remove any outer leaves that fall off, and cut the sprouts in half lengthwise.
- Heat oil and in a large flat-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil it hot, sprinkle salt and pepper in the oil and cover the bottom of the pan with the sprouts, cut side down. Don't worry if the sprouts touch, just get as many in as you can.
- Sprinkle the top of the sprouts with a little more salt and pepper and let them sizzle for approximately 5 minutes.
- Divide the butter and drop small amounts around the top of the pan. It will melt down over the sprouts.
- After another minute or two, check a sprout to see if it's browning nicely. If so, turn the sprouts over and allow the other sides to brown for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the sprouts and stir the pan to incorporate the nuts. Watch carefully to prevent the almonds from scorching.
- Roast for another 3-5 minutes, until the sprouts and almonds are toasty and crisp. Serve as is or sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top for a little extra goodness!