These chops are so easy and very tender. It's based on a recipe in the Mama Dip's Kitchen cookbook. Be sure to follow the important steps of letting the chops rest with the salt and seasoning before cooking, then browning the sides slowly, followed by a covered "rest". Mama Dip is a traditional Southern U.S. cook, chef, restauranteur and cookbook author.
- Sprinkle the salt, thyme and pepper on the pork chops.
- Let sit on counter top for 30 minutes.
- Place oil in large cast iron skillet (or heavy stainless steel skillet) and heat until medium hot.
- Place chops in the pan, placing them so they don't touch each other.
- Cook each side slowly (lower heat if necessary) until nice and golden brown on each side.
- This will take about 4 minutes per side.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Turn off the heat, and let the chops sit for about 8- 10 minutes, depending on thickness of chops.
- After removing chops, you can de-glaze the pan with a little water, wine or broth and a touch of butter and serve as a sauce.