Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Very delightful and easy chicken dish which is asian (Korean) but goes well with just roast potatoes and a green salad too. Trust me. A regular at my home.
- 3 tablespoons japanese dark soya sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and mashed
- 2 spring onions, sliced fine right upto the green section (scallions)
- 1 tablespoon roasted and then lightly crushed sesame seeds
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (Iuse only 1 with a non-stick pan)
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine or dry sherry should also do fine - I infact use a trick my aunt taught me of soaking ging)
- 350 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, slice into 1/8 inch thick slices and pounded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 fresh hot green chili peppers, cut crossways into 1 cm segments (you can deseed and use 1)
- Mix the soya sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, spring onions, sesame seeds, black pepper (I use lots of it), sesame oil and sake in a bowl.
- Spread the chicken slices in a dish and pour this marinade over it.
- Keep for an hour atleast.
- When ready to eat heat oil in a fry pan over med-high heat and when really hot put in as many of the chicken pcs the pan can take.
- Cook till lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove to a warm serving dish.
- Now add the mushrooms and green chilli to the pan and pour the remaining marinade to the pan and stir for one minute.
- Pour over the chicken pcs.
- and serve hot.
I made the marinade and then barbecued the chicken - didn't do the mushroom bit. I served it with roast potatoes and green salad. It was great - a really tasty marinade that I will do again. I should say though that I didn't have any spring onions - but the recipe seemed to be fine without them.
Very tasty and easy to do. I used the sherry that I keep my ginger in instead of sake and I didn't put the spring onions in the marinade, I put them in at the very last moment and just stirred them through the chicken & marinade. I also added some sliced snake beans at this stage and tossed them through for a minute as well. I served this with some steamed rice and used some chopped fresh coriander as a garnish.