Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tofu in the west is often used as a meat substitute for veggies, it was also used for this purpose by Buddhist monks whom first introduced Vegetarian cookery to Japan. This dish is a modern addition to their traditional dishes. I like to serve with rice and make double the quantity of sauce to pour over. I also put my tofu out to drain before I go to work so it is ready to go when i get back
- Drain the Tofu and either put in a colander and weight down with a plate and tins or wrap in kitchen towel and place a plate over the top. The idea is to remove as much liquid as possible. Do this for 30 minutes.
- Add all the marinade ingredients together and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Slice the garlic as thinly as possible and fry in the vegetable oil turning frequently to make sure it does not burn. Do not throw the oil away.
- Unwrap the tofu and slice horizontally into 4 large slabs, then each slab into 4 giving a total of 16 squares.
- Place in a large shallow dish and pour over the marinade, leave to soak for fifteen minutes.
- Drain the tofu and place on kitchen towel, reheat the oil and add one piece of butter. When sizzling add the tofu cooking in one layer wherever possible (I use two pans).
- Cover and cook until the edges are brown and firm (about 5 - 8 mins each side).
- Pour in the marinade cook for 2 minutes or until the spring onions are tender.
- Serve four pieces of tofu per person garnishing with a piece of butter and the thickened sauce.