Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family loves this steak dish. It Reminds us of roast beef and gravy. It is very easy to vary this dish. (add your favourite mushrooms and sherry or dry red wine, or try substituting boneless rib steak or beef tenderloin for the sirloin and enjoy)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups small brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (or dijon mustard)
- 1⁄8 cup parsley, fresh chopped
- Rub salt and pepper on both sides of steak.
- In large pan melt butter and brown steak well on both sides.
- (2-3 minutes per side-- do not cut down on browning time as this really contributes to the overall flavour of the dish) Remove steak and set aside.
- Reduce heat to med-high add remaining butter, garlic, onion, mushrooms and thyme, (stir for 10 minutes) until mushrooms start to brown.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in beef stock, milk and horseradish.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stir for 5 minutes until sauce thickness.
- Add steak and juice, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes while you season the sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle parsley on top.
I didn't rub the steak with salt and pepper. When the bbq will be without snow, we'll cook the steak on the bbq and do this sauce. This sauce is so yummy. I used a large shallot instead of the sweet onion. The mushrooms are so yummy in this sauce. I used dijon mustard and a bit more. Thanks Baby Kato :) Made for the Austrian Swap for January 2011
I loved this it was really quick and easy to make and the end result was so flavoursome. I made as is except I used cream instead of milk and upped the horseradish amount slightly and added more garlic, just our preference. Since I was already naughty with the cream I went all out and served ours with baked potatoes, filled with sour cream, cheese and chives for a totally sinful meal, even more so for us as we are trying to watch the carb intake. It was worth every bite, the sauce was so rich and creamy and with the mushrooms it just went perfectly over the steak. Thanks BK for a delicious meal!!
Wonderful steak dish. Used horseradish and babybella mushrooms. Really delicious combination served with Smashed Red Potatoes With Parmesan Basil Butter and sliced tomatoes with blue cheese. Delicious!