Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This truly luxurious dish combines pan-fried scallops and crispy Parma ham, a great combination of textures and flavours.
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 slices of granary bread, diced
- 8 ounces mixed baby greens
- 18 fresh scallops, shelled
- 12 slices parma ham, roughly shredded
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Heat 1 oz butter in a large, heavy, non-stick frying pan.
- Add the bread and fry until brown and crispy making croutons.
- Drain the croutons on kitchen paper.
- Spread the salad leaves out on a serving platter.
- Add 1 oz butter to the frying pan. Fry the scallops for 1-2 minutes on each side till just cooked.
- Transfer the scallops to the salad leaf platter.
- Heat 1 oz butter in the same pan.
- Fry the Parma ham until crispy, 2-3 minutes. Add the croutons and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Parma ham shreds and croutons over the scallops and salad.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan heat together the walnut oil, sunflower oil, garlic, shallot and mustard, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Pour over the scallop salad.
- Sprinkle over the chopped chives and serve.