Recipe by Kimke
From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. This is great for parties. We have really enjoyed this recipe. Great with chips or veggies!
Top Review by Sidd
I made this to take to my sister's house on Easter, good thing I made a double batch, because it was almost all gone by the time we left. Another sister made sure I gave her the recipe before I left. It was a huge hit!! I served the dip with 3 different kinds of crackers. My mom insisted that I bring this to my Dad's birthday party next week. I wouldn't change a thing!! Thank you so much Kimke for the wonderful dip!!!!
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, not light
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
- (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.