Recipe by BecR
A new and 'healthier' version of traditional Southern-style veggies---big on taste, but these veggies are not breaded or deep-fried! From Southern Living.
- 2 lbs fresh okra
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- Cut okra in half lengthwise.
- Pour 1/4 cup oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook okra in hot oil, in batches, 6 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet, and drain well on paper towels. Repeat with remaining okra, adding remaining 1/4 cup oil as needed. Cool.
- Stir together onion and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add okra, tossing to coat.
- Serve at room temperature.