Recipe by Elly in Canada
Mackerel is best when purchased, cooked and served FRESH! Delicious and healthy!
Top Review by SugaredAlmond
This was fabulous! Lovely, fresh zingy flavours and the Mackerel was a revelation (I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to dealing with fish with heads etc...). The only changes I would make would be to add some chopped coriander and chilli to the veggies, but that's just personal taste.
- 2 mackerel, large
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups acorn squash, peeled, seeded, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare mackerel:.
- Clean, remove heads and tails, split fish down the spine and remove bones, wash fillets and set aside; this will yield 4 fillets.
- Cook vegetables:.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frypan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté stirring for 1 minute, add ginger, stir.
- Add the squash, chayote, salt, pepper and lemon juice, continue to sauté until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add the pepper strips, parsley and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, set aside, keep warm.
- Cook fish:.
- On a flat dish combine cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and paprika
- In a large frypan over medium-high heat melt butter and 3 tblsp. olive oil.
- Roll fillets in cornmeal mixture, shake off excess.
- Place in frypan skin side up, cook 3 to 5 minutes, flip over and cook another 3 to 5 minutes (depends on thickness of fish).
- Serve immediately with warm vegetables on the side. Enjoy!