1/2 Photos of Pan-Fried Gnocchi With Bacon, Onions, & Peas
From May 2007 issue of Fine Cooking Magazine. Hubby and I have never tried gnocchi and found the prep for this recipe to be very simple and the flavors excellent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt
- 1 lb gnocchi, frozen
- 3 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces (about 3 slices)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (medium-small to yield about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- 2Cook the gnocchi according to package directions.
- 3Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Pour off any fat from the skillet.
- 6In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- 7Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are limp and golden brown, 10 more minutes.
- 9Stir in the peas and thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a small bowl.
- 10Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- 11Add the gnocchi and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 12Gently stir in the onion mixture, bacon, and Parmigiano, along with enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten and coat the gnocchi, about 4 tablespoons.
- 13Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmigiano.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Fried Gnocchi With Bacon, Onions, & Peas
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.3
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 21.6 mg
- Sodium 322.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: