Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From a clipping I've had in my recipe box. I used to make cornish hens in my pre-mother years but I think it's time to make them again! This recipe requires a 3-6 hour marination/setting time in the refrigerator so take note!
- 3 rock cornish game hens, split
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, divided
- 2 tablespoons mustard, strong flavor
- 2 tablespoons sweet-hot mustard
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- Make small slits in the skin of the hens with the point of a small knife and blot dry.
- Season the birds with the salt and pepper.
- Mix half of the tarragon with the mustards, egg and cream.
- Spread this mixture on both sides of the hen halves.
- Mix the remaining tarragon with the bread crumbs.
- Coat both sides of the hens with the bread crumb mixture. Place the hens on a large plate in one layer and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a pan large enough to hold all of the hen pieces.
- Fry the hens for about 20 minutes, turning every so often, until the hens are golden brown and crisp. Drain hens on paper towels and serve immediately.