Recipe by twissis
This easy-to-fix recipe is from the Australian Women's Weekly *Best Seafood Recipes* cookbook & turns whatever variety of white fish fillets you choose into a company-worthy taste treat. The sauce is the *STAR* here & can be made several hrs in advance, but the fish fillets are best cooked just prior to serving. *Enjoy*
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Scaled this down for 1 serving and it was a nice filling meal. Made with swai fish and it was a nice paring with the cream sauce. It was seasoned perfectly. Used shallots rather than onions. Made for ZWT8.
For Bacon-Mushroom Sauce
- 4 slices bacon (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces button mushrooms (sml size & sliced thinly)
For Fish Fillets
- 4 large white fish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For Bacon-Mushroom Sauce:.
- Put bacon & onion in a sml saucepan over med-heat. Stir constantly & cook for 2 min or till onion is soft.
- Add cream, shallots & cornstarch blended w/water. Stir constantly till mixture boils & begins to thicken.
- Add mushrooms, simmer for 1 min & set aside.
- For Fish Fillets:.
- Dredge fish fillets in flour & shake off any excess (I just shake them gently in a sml plastic bag filled w/the flour).
- Heat butter in a lrg frying pan, add fish in a single layer & cook over med-heat for about 4 min on ea side or till fish is tender.
- To Serve: Spoon sauce equally over ea fish fillet & serve immediately (I also sprinkle the final assembly w/fresh parsley & a few capers).
- NOTE: If the sauce becomes thicker than desired, warm gently over low heat & add sml amts of milk or cream to thin it to your desired consistency.