Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This easy-to-fix recipe is from the Australian Women's Weekly *Best Seafood Recipes* cookbook & turns whatever variety of white fish fillets you choose into a company-worthy taste treat. The sauce is the *STAR* here & can be made several hrs in advance, but the fish fillets are best cooked just prior to serving. *Enjoy*
For Bacon-Mushroom Sauce
- 4 slices bacon (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces button mushrooms (sml size & sliced thinly)
For Fish Fillets
- 4 large white fish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- For Bacon-Mushroom Sauce:.
- Put bacon & onion in a sml saucepan over med-heat. Stir constantly & cook for 2 min or till onion is soft.
- Add cream, shallots & cornstarch blended w/water. Stir constantly till mixture boils & begins to thicken.
- Add mushrooms, simmer for 1 min & set aside.
- For Fish Fillets:.
- Dredge fish fillets in flour & shake off any excess (I just shake them gently in a sml plastic bag filled w/the flour).
- Heat butter in a lrg frying pan, add fish in a single layer & cook over med-heat for about 4 min on ea side or till fish is tender.
- To Serve: Spoon sauce equally over ea fish fillet & serve immediately (I also sprinkle the final assembly w/fresh parsley & a few capers).
- NOTE: If the sauce becomes thicker than desired, warm gently over low heat & add sml amts of milk or cream to thin it to your desired consistency.
Scaled this down for 1 serving and it was a nice filling meal. Made with swai fish and it was a nice paring with the cream sauce. It was seasoned perfectly. Used shallots rather than onions. Made for ZWT8.
This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I wanted to make this with halibut tonight. I could not get any and ended up trying it with a new fish we have never had, it was so good and went exceptionally well with the sauce. I loved it pan fried and the only thing I did different was to salt and pepper the flour and add a little cayenne for seasoning. The sauce is outstanding and goes so well with the fish. We loved, loved and loved. Thanks twissis we will be enjoying this one often a great family meal, that would also be exceptional and get rave views from company.
Easily a 5 star recipe!! My whole family devoured this fish dish and that is a major accomplishment, since my kids aren't normally wild about fish. The pan frying method is wonderful for this..keeping the outside of the fish crispy which holds up well to the DELICIOUS bacon mushroom sauce. Did I mention that the sauce was DELICIOUS?! Wow that's a lot of flavor and creaminess packed into an easy-to-prepare sauce. I add another 1/4 cup of heavy cream to thin the sauce a bit (1 cup total). We used flounder for the fish and did salt and pepper them after dredging in flour. This recipe is as simple as can be with impressive results. ~Made for the 12 Days of Christmas Aussie/NZ Swap~