Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I just love this dressing over fish. Use any kind of firm, large flaking, fish fillets you can get.
- 60 ml light soy sauce
- 40 ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 40 ml sesame oil (original recipe uses double this but I think it kills the flavour of the fish)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch spring onion, finely shredded
- 1 red chile, very finely chopped
FOR THE FISH
- 6 blue-eye cod fish fillets (175-225g each)
- plain flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon butter
- To make the dressing, boil the soy sauce, vinegar and 5 spice powder together.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Mix the spring onions with the chilli.
- Lightly coat the fish fillets with seasoned flour.
- Heat the knob of butter in a fry pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) until cooked.
- Reheat the dressing and add the onions and chilli-cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve the fish with the dressing spooned over.
This is an outstanding recipe!!! We loved this. I made it with cod and used 60 ml sesame oil to try it out and we liked that, but agree with Jan that the original amount would be too much. I made this for the two of us so there were two fish steaks but I did make all of the dressing. I was glad I did because I served it with a cucmber salad, plain rice and it served as a sauce. When making this for six I will certainly double the dressing!
great dressing for Anything! so, the american measurements i used: 4T soy sauce (i use Braggs) 3T rice vinegar, 2T sesame oil (that was plenty). the only other thing i stirred in was about 2t red chili sauce. fantastic! at the last minute we decided against fish, so i used it for the stir fry veggies and it was a Huge hit with hubby and two teens.
Very quick, and easy recipe - having read the reviews, I parred right back on the sesame oil, but added a bit of sugar for some sweetness. Fish perfectly cooked, and went well with stir-fried veg and rice