Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This came from an old Bon Appetit magazine and is still one of my favorites. It's flavorful and very easy to prepare, but not quite as sinful as real fried chicken.
- In a plastic storage bag, combine the chicken, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- Turn and coat the chicken well.
- In another plastic storage bag, combine the 3 tablespoons of flour and the cornmeal.
- Add the chicken and coat completely.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a medium,heavy skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and brown.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels, leaving drippings in the skillet.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to plates and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 teaspoons flour, 2 teaspoons thyme, and the chicken broth.
- Add mixture to the skillet and boil until reduced to 1/3 cup, whisking now and then, about 3 minutes.
- Crumble the bacon and stir into gravy along with the green onions.
- Return to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon gravy over chicken.