This came from an old Bon Appetit magazine and is still one of my favorites. It's flavorful and very easy to prepare, but not quite as sinful as real fried chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a plastic storage bag, combine the chicken, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- 2Turn and coat the chicken well.
- 3In another plastic storage bag, combine the 3 tablespoons of flour and the cornmeal.
- 4Add the chicken and coat completely.
- 5Season generously with salt and pepper.
- 6In a medium,heavy skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and brown.
- 7Transfer bacon to paper towels, leaving drippings in the skillet.
- 8Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- 9Transfer chicken to plates and keep warm.
- 10In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 teaspoons flour, 2 teaspoons thyme, and the chicken broth.
- 11Add mixture to the skillet and boil until reduced to 1/3 cup, whisking now and then, about 3 minutes.
- 12Crumble the bacon and stir into gravy along with the green onions.
- 13Return to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- 14Spoon gravy over chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Thyme Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 328.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 34.8 g