Recipe by KathyP53
Best comfort food and a great appetizer!
Top Review by Leopard Apron
Absolutely delicious! After our outing to the Pumpkin Patch, we came home to relax with an appetizer and for some reason, chicken livers just sounded yummy. I happened to have chicken livers in the fridge (truthfully, I was going to use them for dog treats:~D)so I searched for pan-fried chicken livers. Imagine my surprise when it was my sister-in-law's recipe!!! My sweetie and I loved thyem....I deep fried in a pan on the stove and next time I will use my DeLonghi Deep Flyer - much neater. Great flavor, buttermilk is a great idea and we dipped in chunky blue cheese dressing!
P.S. Dog treat Recipe to be posted soon!
- canola oil
- 1 lb chicken liver, trimmed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour oil in large, deep cast iron skillet or 4 quart saucepan to reach depth of 2". Heat oil over medium-high heat until deep fry thermometer registers 340 degrees.
- Soak livers in buttermilk for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning in a small baking dish.
- Drain livers; drredge each liver in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour; transfer to a plate.
- Fry livers in batches until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Transfer livers to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with hot sauce like Frank's or Crystal, blue cheese dressing and/or ranch dressing.