Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Best comfort food and a great appetizer!
- canola oil
- 1 lb chicken liver, trimmed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Pour oil in large, deep cast iron skillet or 4 quart saucepan to reach depth of 2". Heat oil over medium-high heat until deep fry thermometer registers 340 degrees.
- Soak livers in buttermilk for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning in a small baking dish.
- Drain livers; drredge each liver in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour; transfer to a plate.
- Fry livers in batches until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Transfer livers to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with hot sauce like Frank's or Crystal, blue cheese dressing and/or ranch dressing.
Absolutely delicious! After our outing to the Pumpkin Patch, we came home to relax with an appetizer and for some reason, chicken livers just sounded yummy. I happened to have chicken livers in the fridge (truthfully, I was going to use them for dog treats:~D)so I searched for pan-fried chicken livers. Imagine my surprise when it was my sister-in-law's recipe!!! My sweetie and I loved thyem....I deep fried in a pan on the stove and next time I will use my DeLonghi Deep Flyer - much neater. Great flavor, buttermilk is a great idea and we dipped in chunky blue cheese dressing!
P.S. Dog treat Recipe to be posted soon!