1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Creamy chicken and mushroom dish - a fabulous French seasonal recipe. Add chopped bacon in with the onions if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- 2Fry the thighs for 8-10 mins, skin side only, until golden brown, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- 3Fry the drumsticks for about 5 mins each side and add them to the thighs.
- 4Pour the broth over the chicken legs in the casserole. There should be enough broth to just cover the chicken, if not add a little water.
- 5Bring broth to the boil and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook at just below simmering point for 30-35 mins until chicken is cooked.
- 6While chicken is simmering, drain oil from the pan.
- 7Heat the butter in pan and add onion. Sweat onion for 5 mins until soft, but not coloured.
- 8Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms, then fry for 3 mins until they soften and start to smell wonderful. Pour over the white wine, raise the heat to maximum and boil rapidly for 10-15 mins until reduced by two-thirds. Turn off the heat and leave until chicken has cooked.
- 9Once chicken legs are cooked, strain broth into pan with the onion, mushrooms and white wine, bring back to the boil and reduce again by two-thirds until it is thick and syrupy.
- 10Pour in cream, bring it to the boil, season if you want, then pour it over chicken.
- 11Heat chicken through in the sauce for 2-3 mins then turn off the heat and leave for a few mins before serving.
- 12This is such an aromatic and beautiful looking dish you should serve it straight from the casserole with the lid on.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Fried Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.6
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 589.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 35.8 g