Recipe by English_Rose
Creamy chicken and mushroom dish - a fabulous French seasonal recipe. Add chopped bacon in with the onions if you wish.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 14 ounces chestnut mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Fry the thighs for 8-10 mins, skin side only, until golden brown, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Fry the drumsticks for about 5 mins each side and add them to the thighs.
- Pour the broth over the chicken legs in the casserole. There should be enough broth to just cover the chicken, if not add a little water.
- Bring broth to the boil and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook at just below simmering point for 30-35 mins until chicken is cooked.
- While chicken is simmering, drain oil from the pan.
- Heat the butter in pan and add onion. Sweat onion for 5 mins until soft, but not coloured.
- Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms, then fry for 3 mins until they soften and start to smell wonderful. Pour over the white wine, raise the heat to maximum and boil rapidly for 10-15 mins until reduced by two-thirds. Turn off the heat and leave until chicken has cooked.
- Once chicken legs are cooked, strain broth into pan with the onion, mushrooms and white wine, bring back to the boil and reduce again by two-thirds until it is thick and syrupy.
- Pour in cream, bring it to the boil, season if you want, then pour it over chicken.
- Heat chicken through in the sauce for 2-3 mins then turn off the heat and leave for a few mins before serving.
- This is such an aromatic and beautiful looking dish you should serve it straight from the casserole with the lid on.