Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is my new FAVORITE!! I cannot believe how EASY this was and the taste... delicious! I used 2 fresh, orange, heirloom tomato for the relish. I am hooked.
- 1⁄4 inch olive oil (for frying)
- 4 slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the relish
- 1 heirloom tomato, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chiffonade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Ina bow, add relish ingedients and let stand while you prepare the following:.
- heat 1/4 inch olive oil In a heavy bottom pan until it shimmers
- beat egg whites in a bowl until frothy and add salt and pepper.
- pour breadcrumbs in a pie plate.
- dredge mozzarella slices in egg and then breadcrumbs TWICE.
- Fry breaded cheese in oil for 1 and 1/2 minutes on each side.
- top each slice with a scoop of relish.
This was a wonderful appetizer for Xmas day....very elegant and tasted wonderful.
I was looking for an alternative to a salad caprese since it's definitely not summer anymore... I'm so glad I found this recipe, it makes a gorgeous dinner in a flash. Thank you :)