Recipe by threeovens
This is a rustic bread that comes out sort of like a Norwegian pita. From Andreas Viestad, "New Scandinavian Cooking."
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, stir together yeast, lukewarm water, half the flour, sugar, and salt; let stand 10 minutes so that the yeast can start to ferment.
- Stir in the buttermilk and the remainder of the flour.
- Place a moist cloth over the dough and let rise for 20 minutes; the dough will still be a bit sticky.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Drop a spoonful of dough in the pan, that has been lightly greased; spread the dough out and fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with remaining dough.