Recipe by Bergy
Much better for you than deep fried fritters. They go well with any fruit--canned with light syrup are good, but I like just fresh fruit as well, especially strawberries.
Top Review by Lee from New Mexico
LOL........Wasn't paying attention and did not read the recipe through before starting.......hence a booboo!!!! I mixed the blueberries into the batter!!! A "good" mistake, the fritters were still (or maybe even more so)wonderful. Will make them againg using the "Booboo method". Thanks for sharing. Lee
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned blueberries in light syrup or 1 cup fresh blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250°F degrees.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Combine egg whites, milk and margarine, mix well.
- Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stir until just smooth (do not over mix).
- In a large non stick skillet heat the 2 tbsp oil, heat until quite hot but not smoking.
- Drop in a 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter.
- Cook approx 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Keep warm in the oven covered with foil until you have cooked all the fritters.
- Serve with Blueberries or other fruit.