Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Much better for you than deep fried fritters. They go well with any fruit--canned with light syrup are good, but I like just fresh fruit as well, especially strawberries.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned blueberries in light syrup or 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 250°F degrees.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Combine egg whites, milk and margarine, mix well.
- Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stir until just smooth (do not over mix).
- In a large non stick skillet heat the 2 tbsp oil, heat until quite hot but not smoking.
- Drop in a 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter.
- Cook approx 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Keep warm in the oven covered with foil until you have cooked all the fritters.
- Serve with Blueberries or other fruit.
LOL........Wasn't paying attention and did not read the recipe through before starting.......hence a booboo!!!! I mixed the blueberries into the batter!!! A "good" mistake, the fritters were still (or maybe even more so)wonderful. Will make them againg using the "Booboo method". Thanks for sharing. Lee
DH made these all by himself. (And he ate all 6 servings himself!) He loved them- easy to make and delicious. He used Splenda brown sugar blend. Thanks Bergy!