Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is a really simple, quick way to cook asparagus. The asparagus turns out crisp-tender and encrusted with browned parmesan cheese. Pleasing to both the eye and the taste buds!
Top Review by Elmotoo
this didn't work out as I had hoped but the end results were very tasty & everybody loved it! The bottom was scorching, even on low heat, so I needed to stir so the top didn't get crunchy. :( i think this work better in the oven. Made for Aussie Swap 4/11. thank you!
- 1 lb asparagus, fresh whole spears
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, thinly sliced (could also use red or yellow onion)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare asparagus spears. First rinse thoroughly and cut off fibrous ends. To do this, pull one spear out of the bunch. Gently bend the spear until it snaps. Then cut the remaining spears at the same length as the first.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook garlic and shallots for five minutes or until tender but not translucent.
- Add asparagus and parmesan to skillet and toss in oil, garlic and shallots. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes at medium / medium-high heat or until asparagus and parmesan begin to brown, and shallots are caramelized.