Recipe by littleturtle
Pan fried, breaded veal with creole seasonings in a rich, cream sauce served over fettucini.
- 4 quarts hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb dry fettuccine or 3⁄4 lb fresh fettuccine
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups very fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 6 (4 ounce) white boneless veal steaks, pounded thin
- vegetable oil (for pan frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, add oil and salt to water, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add fettucini a little at a time, breaking up the oil patches as you drop it inches.
- Return to a boil and cook until al dente (3 minutes for fresh or 7 minutes for dry).
- Drain, and rinse with hot water, then cold for dry fettucine or just cold water for fresh.
- Allow to cool 2-3 minutes, then coat your hands with vegetable oil and toss the fettucine.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over med-low heat.
- Sauté garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream and cayenne pepper, and turn heat up to med-high.
- Whisk constantly as the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and slowly add the cream cheese, stirring constantly.
- Let mixture simmer until reduced a little and thick (7-8 minutes), whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, and gradually add 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.
- Set aside.
- In a cake pan or other shallow pan, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, olive oil, white pepper, onion, and garlic; mix well.
- In another pan, beat the eggs, then beat in the Parmesan cheese.
- Soak the veal in the egg mixture for at least 5 minutes, making sure it is thoroughly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4" vegetable oil to 400°F.
- Just before frying, dredge veal in bread crumbs (press crumbs in with your hands and shake off excess).
- Fry veal in hot oil until golden brown (about 1 minute per side).
- Do not crowd pieces together and change the oil if the crumbs in the bottom start burning.
- Remove veal from pan and set aside (keep warm).
- Reheat the cheese sauce over med-high heat, whisking frequently (if the butter starts to seperate from the sauce, whisk in a tablespoon of milk).
- Add the fettucini and toss until pasta is thoroughly coated (1 minute).
- Remove from heat and immediately serve fettucini with veal.