2 hrs 20 mins
When we lived on the Caribbean island of Bonaire, our neighbor had a bakery and we would wake up each morning to the aroma of fresh bread and these rolls! It was sweet torture and many times we would give in and treat ourselves to these yummy rolls for breakfast! (Prep time includes time for dough to rise two times. Recipe did not include serving size or yield, so I'm guessing on the servings...)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond flavoring
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds (optional)
- 1/4 lb raisins or 1/4 lb currants or 1/4 lb candied fruit, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- brown sugar
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Stir in 1 1/2 cup flour and let set about 15 minutes.
- 3Add vanilla, almond flavoring, and baking powder.
- 4Add margarine and anise seed.
- 5Chop fruit with water in blender.
- 6Add fruit and egg to yeast mixture.
- 7Add milk, salt, sugar, and enough flour until dough stops sticking to side of bowl (may be up to 4 1/2 cups).
- 8Knead into a soft dough.
- 9Place dough in greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size.
- 10Punch down dough and shape into round rolls; place in greased baking pans.
- 11Let rise.
- 12(large rolls could be about the size of softballs, while small rolls could be about the size of baseballs, after rising).
- 13Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 14Brush with a mixture of brown sugar and a little water.
- 15Serve warm with butter or margarine.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan Dushi (Antillean Sweet Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1412.2
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.1 mg
- Sodium 1486.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 251.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 97.2 g
- Protein 25.3 g