Recipe by Annacia
These Mexican sweet buns are great to make during the winter time, especially for Christmas! People love the sugar topping that browns when they bake. You very often see these in Mexican markets with pink sugar tops. Total time to make, including rise time, is about 2 hrs 45 mins.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, I still can't believe that I made these delicious tasting buns. They turned out so good and they even look pretty too. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe Annacia, that turned a novice bread maker like me, into a star. Easy to make, this sweet bread is perfection, light and tender, with just the right amount of sweetness. I just can't stop eating them, I made half the recipe and truly wish I would have made all of it. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Mexico.
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat.
- Add the butter, stir until melted and pour into a large bowl to cool.
- Dissolve yeast in the milk mixture.
- Mix in 1/3 cup sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour.
- Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and form into rounds.
- With a rolling pin, roll the rounds into oval buns. Place them onto two lightly greased baking sheets.
- Cover the rolls with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- While The Bread Rises, Make The Topping:
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup flour, butter until a crumb mixture forms.
- Stir in the egg yolks until well blended. Crumble the topping over the rolls so the entire surface is covered.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sugar topping is lightly browned.