Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
A sweet Spanish egg bread.
- 2⁄3 cup milk, scalded and cooled
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups flour
- Combine the first 4 ingredients, beating thoroughly.
- Cover and let rise until light and bubbly; then stir down.
- Cream the butter and 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar and then add the egg yolks, beating until blended.
- Stir this mixture into yeast sponge along with the salt and 2 cups flour.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Add just enough more flour to make a dough that can be kneaded.
- When dough has been kneaded until smooth, put into a buttered bowl, brush dough with soft butter, cover, and let rise until doubled.
- Then punch down and shape into small braided rolls.
- Place on buttered cookie sheets and let rise until doubled.
- Brush rolls with cream and sprinkle with plain sugar or Anise Sugar.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven until done, about 25 minutes.
This is a wonderful recipe. Thanks for posting!