Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I grew up eating pan de sal for breakfast or merienda (snack). My favorite was Baliwag-style, enriched with milk, butter and egg. Knead dough in bread machine, then shape and bake in regular oven. Breadcrumbs provide that distinctive crunchy crust. Masarap (delicious)! **Dough ball should be as sticky as the back of a Post-it Note. Otherwise, add up to 2 TBL of flour or water, as needed.**
- Microwave milk on High for 30 seconds; Warm uncracked egg to room temperature by placing in hot water for 60 seconds, then beat lightly; Melt or soften butter to room temperature.
- Select "Dough" cycle; Add all ingredients, EXCEPT for breadcrumbs, in the order your machine requires.
- First Rise: When the machine is done kneading, the dough will be sticky (gooey dough means moist pan de sal); Place dough in a bowl greased with Pam spray and spray top of dough with more Pam; Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume (To test: gently poke dough with two fingers; if it leaves an impression without springing back, it is doubled).
- Second Rise: Gently deflate dough with your fist, then use a plastic spatula to divide dough into 24 ovals and roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Line up ovals in a 9x13" ungreased cake pan with the rolls touching; that way, the pan de sal use each other for height support and not spread out like ciabatta; Let rise a second time for 30 minutes; Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
Tried this recipe and it came out real good just like how I remembered back in the Manila and instead of 1 egg, I used 2 eggs, and it came out great thanks!
I am from the philippines growing up eating pan de sal in breakfast and move in the usa,ill try to find pan de sal recipe in the internet but everytime I made it,it does not come out good,im glad I found this perfect recipe for pan de sal,it is absolutely breathtaking seems I am a proffesional baker...
I tried this recipe and my pan de sal came out great! My husband loves it and could not get enough of it. I only baked it for 10 minutes.