1/6 Photos of Pan De Sal - Filipino Bread Rolls
1 hr 25 mins
May M's Note:
I grew up eating pan de sal for breakfast or merienda (snack). My favorite was Baliwag-style, enriched with milk, butter and egg. Knead dough in bread machine, then shape and bake in regular oven. Breadcrumbs provide that distinctive crunchy crust. Masarap (delicious)! **Dough ball should be as sticky as the back of a Post-it Note. Otherwise, add up to 2 TBL of flour or water, as needed.**
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Microwave milk on High for 30 seconds; Warm uncracked egg to room temperature by placing in hot water for 60 seconds, then beat lightly; Melt or soften butter to room temperature.
- 2Select "Dough" cycle; Add all ingredients, EXCEPT for breadcrumbs, in the order your machine requires.
- 3First Rise: When the machine is done kneading, the dough will be sticky (gooey dough means moist pan de sal); Place dough in a bowl greased with Pam spray and spray top of dough with more Pam; Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume (To test: gently poke dough with two fingers; if it leaves an impression without springing back, it is doubled).
- 4Second Rise: Gently deflate dough with your fist, then use a plastic spatula to divide dough into 24 ovals and roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- 5Line up ovals in a 9x13" ungreased cake pan with the rolls touching; that way, the pan de sal use each other for height support and not spread out like ciabatta; Let rise a second time for 30 minutes; Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
- 6Bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan De Sal - Filipino Bread Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.3 mg
- Sodium 123.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g